Monday, August 01, 2005

The day my HDD passed away...


Black was the colour for the day.It was the 30th of June.In a symbolic way...just like the month of June had ended,so did this reporter's HDD breathe it's last.In a rather dramatic nay extremely tragic turn of events,my HDD head spinned it's last spin before saying goodbye to the processor and to this world. It all started 7 months ago,when the SAMSUNG SP0802N 80GB hard disk was brought into it's new home....my computer.I had decided to purchase it to increase my storage space inorder to supplement my increasing daily downloads list.The HDD was only in it's infant stage and was very lively.There was a spring in it's operating speed and I was essentially happy that it had adjusted well to it's new home.You can probably call our own "WATZ THERE" Manoj as the Godfather of the HDD,as he had worked as the middle man in adopting the HDD from the manufacturing orphanage. Anyway,within weeks of it's arrival,the HDD was taught the ways of my internet life.Downloads started to pile in and movies copied from other HDDs were stacked,taking space along with them.But,physical interaction or connection with other HDDs resulted in my poor HDD contracting HTHTD or Hard Disk To Hard Disk Transmitted Diseases.With movies and music came viruses,worms,trojans and spyware.My HDD was beginning to show first sign of weakness.I tried to boost it's immune system by giving it Norton Antivirus tablets and Zone Alarm Firewall injections.With 24 hour net connection adn my HDD's failing immune system,my computer became an open gateway for undesirable elements. By the last week of June,things were at a breaking point,Now,as if to add fuel to fire,the unexpected happened.I had instructed my faithful friend,the HDD,to download something,through the night.Though not in it's best health,it had agreed to do so without any complaints.As I was having a deep sleep with sweet dreams,little did I know that my HDD was having a nightmare of a time.Death came instantly in the form of a powercut.HDD's best friend,The UPS,tried to keep his friend alive by giving him backup power.But,it could hold it's own only for 5 minutes.By the time I knew something was wrong,it was too late.My HDD had become a memory..... I don't have words in my literary armoury to explain the grief that I feel at the bereavement of my beloved HDD.The whole of Kerala went into mourning on the fateful.Computers all over the state went into hibernation mode for 1 minute to pay homage to the departed head.Meanwhile,the state police has registered a case of unnatural death.Coming shortly after the death of Manoj's HDD,investigators feel that there might be a conspiracy and that there might be a killer on the loose.Even while all this was happening,nothing could calm me down...not even the assurance from the manufacturing orphanage that they would replace the HDD with a new one. Anyway,whatever has happened,has happened.I cannot turn back the wheel of time and undo the events that occured.Maybe,inorder to pledge their allegiance to my endless tears,the heavens too opened their doors.Today,I look up towards the sky and hope that my HDD's head is resting in pieces.

2 Comments:

Blogger Praveen said...

That was an excellent way of explaining about the tragic death of ur HDD. Impressed... :-)
Go On Keep the good work going..
with due condolensces....

Kp.

11:16 PM  
Blogger Arun said...

Data Can be recovered from dead hard disks.

Please contact me
SultanArun@gmail.com

3:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home