Friday, October 05, 2012

Kannan, the silent livewire

The significance of a human being in a society is never ascertained by his race, color, social status or occupation. Sometimes, these parameters pale in comparison to the sheer impact made with the unassuming presence in a crowd. For some people, the sheer insignificance in a very visible crowd, can become the standout factor. There is one such individual on the set of the movie, "Up and Down : Mukalil Oraalundu".  He is short but certainly not just another face in the crowd. I am talking about Kannan, who works in the production team. If there is one person who is always seen in motion, it is this guy. Kannans actual name is Abhilash and even though he looks like a 15 year old, he is double that age. Hailing from Thiruvallom near Chitranjali studio, he had taken to the production area with movies just like many of his neighbours and friends. It is my privilege to hold a conversation with Kannan and bring to you a few pages from his life.

How did you enter into the movie industry?
It was never a planned path. A lot of people in this area have already been working in production and I guess I just followed in due course of time. It was never a pre planned decision. Now, I have been in this field for 9 years and never really looked back much.

How was your first experience in this industry, when you came in as a fresher?
As I said, it was not a definite choice for me. I had studied till SSLC and one fine day, came into the production team of a movie by accident. One of the production boys in that unit was absent for a day and I filled in for him on the location of an English movie shot exclusively for Cannes film festival. Since then, it has been 28 movies and I have enjoyed my time working in different sets and with different artistes and technicians.

Have you had any interesting experiences with any of the artistes?
Yes, I have had some interesting experiences. But the one I remember most was with our very own lalettan or Mohanlal. It was on the set of the movie HELLO. Lalettan had brought his latest baby, a beautiful Audi, to the set. It was shiny new and the dark tinted glasses gave a perfect reflection. I was never the vehicle and decided to set my hair looking at the reflection on the car window. Even as I started combing my hair by looking at the reflection on the window, I could hear lalettans assistants asking me to move away. I did not realize that he was inside the car, until he rolled down that window and looked at me. I practically ran off. Later, when I went to give him food at his home, he had smiled and pointed me to the mirror at his place suggesting me to use it next time. I am a big fan of him and cherish this experience I have had with him.

How has it been in the set of "Up and Down Mukalil Oraalundu"?
It has been a great experience. I have met some interesting people like in any set I have worked in. The artistes and technicians have generally been very friendly. It is true that work gets hectic sometimes, especially when the shoot extends into the night. But, then it is part of the bargain and I try to enjoy it.

What is your aim for the future?
I wanna be a production chief one day and make my name in the entertainment. It might be an insignificant job for most people without the glamour but still I am happy doing it.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home