Monday, August 15, 2005

Criticise...You have to say something,right???





Criticism is a word writers appreciate and hate at the same time. Most of the time, most people tend to take it as a license to insult and rebuke other people through their work. They fondly call it criticism. But, what is criticism as far as literary works are concerned? Criticism can be defined as the practice of analyzing, classifying, interpreting, or evaluating literary or other artistic works. The three words analyzing, classifying and interpreting are very important here. I feel them as important because the so-called critics casually tends to forget the first two. Their criticism has got to do more with the interpretation of the work, without any sort of analysis or classification. Mostly, criticism happens because people feel that they will be belittled if they don't something about a piece of work. It has got more to do with making his or her presence felt in the crowd than with any real understanding of the work.

Now comes the most interesting angle to criticism. I understand the idea behind criticising something which is a modified entity. It could be a literary work or anything else which had it's inspiration or original idea from something else. It is fine because in such a case, we have the presence of a standard with which we could compare the work under criticism. But, how or more importantly why do you have to criticise something original? There is more than one reason for me to ask this question. I am pretty sure you will understand the relevance of the question through this article.

An individual writes something from his mind. I am a person who forcefully stopped reading any book, four years ago. Many of my friends felt that as a weird and foolish move. But, I had my reasons. I felt that the more you read something, you start beginning to have favourite works and authors and in all probability, your works will get influenced by that writer. I am a person who likes to maintain a writing style of my own. A style which is unique and fresh and not compared to anyone elses'. This is my personal view point and subject to argument. On a lighter note, when I wrote " subject to argument", I suddenly remembered something. We live in a society where people argue or make comment, simply because they don't want to be left out. I feel that strange and funny!!! Anyway, not to deviate from the main topic, original writing is beyond negative criticism I think Criticism is fine...but negative criticism on an original work is not good.

I think I can explain my point more clearly with a practical approach. A small kid draws something or scribbles down something. He or she brings it to you for your comment. What do you do? Do you analyze it from all angles and study the logic and perfection behind that creation? I don' t think you will ever do that. You simply stroke the head of the budding artist and speak words of encouragement. I know that you will argue that you did that so as not to hurt the young mind. But, still you appreciated the work, no matter how simple and vague it was. The originality and the creative effort taken by the kid made you appreciate him or her. Now, why does the attitude change with grown up artists? I guess the situation remains the same...only the age changes. Still you like to say something more on the negative front than on the positive side. I feel it has got more to do with the failure to understand the mindset of the writer.

When a normal man reads Shakespeare's work, he may find it as absurd and rubbish. It is simply because of his inability to decipher the inner meaning and the literary prowess in Shakespeare's works. Similarly, history would prove that almost all inventors were mocked at, during the initial phases of their inventions. It is only time that has brought the importance of their inventions into the limelight. So, I am forced to believe most people today, simply do not have the mindset to appreciate any creative work. There could be two reasons for that. One could be because they do not have the intellectual development to understand the essence of the work or because of the fact that they are jealous of the creator's capabilities. Creative work, whether it be literary or any other work, can only be appreciated, simply because it cannot be compared to anything else, as it is original!!!


Gotta say something, so criticise
Need to show others, you are wise
Among others, you have to rise
But think, isn't it good to be just nice?


Love & Peace,
AK

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home