Monday, August 15, 2005

CET...not just three letters





"Wake up,Son!",my mom was pulling the sheets that covered my body,protecting me from the morning chill.It was Monday and on account of the deep and peaceful sleep I had the previous night,I had somehow forgotten the enormity of the occasion.I was to be inducted into the CET community that day…a dream for a majority of plus2 students.This sounded more like a fairy tale beginning…didn’t it?.For a moment,the creative writer within me took over.But,today,I don’t want you to read my article….I want you to hear me talk to you.Written communication assumes great importance when it is presented in an oratory manner.I believe in that.People prefer listening to a person who speaks eloquently,displaying his emotions,than hear a person blankly reading out something.So,I will be trying to speak to each one of you,from this moment,in this article.

CET….the three letters which holds supreme importance in my life.It is really tough to actually convey the true feeling of having been a CETian. Even if I tried to do so,I wouldn’t be doing full justice to the effort and to the institution.It is indeed a feeling that has to be experienced.So,I will try to tell you what I have experienced in my 5 years of CET life. For an additional info…due to some personal reasons,I had to drop a year and study with my juniors…which explains the 5 years.But,I definitely don’t regret it…I actually see it in a positive way because I got a bit more time to know the college and to familiarize with a lot more people.I actually wanted to tell you 5 main things through this article.But,before that,I want you to hold my hand so that we can take a trip down memory lane together and experience CET the way it was in 1999.

When I got down from the city bus, before the college entrance, I could simply stare at amazement at the sight that met my eyes.I had to actually hold my father’s hands to get a grip on my senses.Here I was,standing on the pedestal of one of the premier institutions in the state,about to become a part of it and the thought itself made me nervous.New campus, new classmates, new books, new clothes….everything was new and refreshing. I am purposefully not going into the details of the admission process,simply because it doesn’t have much of a value as far as this article goes.I was shown my classroom and I settled down to start my life as a CETian.Just keep in mind that this article is not like one of those dragging family dramas that you find in a television set. Keeping aloof from too much of a detailed rendering,I will be concentrating on the finer and exciting moments of my life at CET.
Anwyay,all was not well with my life at CET,as I had hoped.Just as we were beginning to enjoy college life,there entered a terrifying group of guys,we called seniors,with their favourite hobby,ragging.I know that the freshers these days may find it hard to believe,but trust me guys when I say that it was total hell for the first two or three months.I was instructed to look down into the ground while walking,for the first two weeks,while I was inside the campus.There were numerous other instances too,which I secretly enjoyed. It was then that I relaised that there were certain names inside the campus,the bearers of which were not mere individuals,but legends by themselves.It was more like listening to the exploits of a historic figure,that I listened with awe about the daring things these guys have done.Their legend indeed preceded them.I don’t know how many of you guys have heard about the names Valve tube,Pathiri,Mattom,Bond etc.I fortunately got the good fortune to become friendly with all these so called legends.It sometimes pays to be modest and humble before seniors.When you give respect,you get respect automatically.I can guarantee you ,that going by my experience.I too had a wish that when I left college,my juniors know me by my nickname.

I have experienced almost every aspect of life from CET.When I say every aspect,I am mentioning about both the good and bad aspects of life.Remember one thing Guys….life is never gonna be a bed of roses.Each and everyone of you is gonna be thrown head-first violently,into the unforgiving and tumultuous circle of life.It is better to be prepared right from your college days,than to find the going tough later.Working in an MNC myself,I know what life is gonna throw at you.Right from my school days,I used to believe in a one-liner.It was kind of a motto for me.It went,"Live for the moment!!!".Live your life to the fullest because you never know what tomorrow may hold for you.Now,let’s get on to the issues I wanted to talk to you about.

Right from the time I joined CET,I have been reminded of the CET spirit by my seniors.Let me tell you a specific incident.I went to attend Hotch Potch,one week after joining CET.There,I saw my super seniors cheering on our college.I was reluctant to join them,as I was a junior and some of them had even ragged me on my first week of CET life.Then,accidentally,one guy came upto me and asked me which college I was representing.When I answered CET,he asked me why I was standing aloof and told me to join the CET gang immediately.One of the guys in the group was none other than Arun Kumar.G,who had been our Arts Club Secretary and whom most guys fondly know as "Swamy".It was then that I realized that beyond the boundaries of the campus,the lines drawn between seniors and juniors were gone and that everyone was united under a much more stronger banner,CETians.I was always amazed to see the way Leander Paes and Mahesh Bhuapthi bumped their chests during their matches.It displayed a lot of intensity and spirit…the spirit of being an Indian.I wouldn’t say that you should start bumping your chests when you see another CETian…but,you should definitely imbibe the spirit of being a CETian.Be proud of it and stand up for it.Never be afraid or shy to state before anyone that you are a CETian.Even when I say these words,the passion builds up within me.I am proud of being a CETian.Remember one of our cheering lines.."Sabse aage ladke kaun???....CET,CET!!!"

Attitude plays an important part in an individual’s life.It acquires greater significance when you enter into a responsible job.Sadly,I have been noting that the charismatic attitude and magnetic personality,once a hallmark of a CETian,is slowly becoming a thing of the past.It is indeed shocking to know that many guys view CET just as a platform to push forward their careers.I know that it sure helps in that aspect with campus interviews and all.But,CET is to be viewed as a much more stronger foundation….a foundation for moulding your character.It is high time you understood that education is not just about getting a highly paid job.When you study in an institution,particularly one like CET,education as a term should have a broader meaning.Through education,you should be able to develop your character,recognize your talents,realize your energy and make a better individual out of yourself.So,when you join CET,your thoughts should definitely not be just about CGPU and your dream company or maybe even CAT or GATE.They are all important in their own way,but those are definitely not the only things that should count in your college life.Life just has a forward button.At no point of time,can you press a rewind button.Youth comes only once.The main advantage of being young is that you are full of energy and full of ideas.You don’t have to harness your thoughts and actions,simply because you don’t have too many responsibilities.Use your energy for creative purposes.I never regretted cutting a class or two to have a snack with my friends;I won’t regret working in the political campaign during college elections and delivering speeches in classes;I definitely don’t regret working in the organizing committee of four Dhwanis.These things have helped me in a variety of ways.Experiences count a lot in your life and I am where I am because of whatever I have experienced during my college life.You can easily live through each day monotonously following the same routine.It would be like watching a black and white movie.Friends,why don’t you add some colour to it?.Try to get involved in all college activites and make it a point to even cast your vote during college elections.Being a part of college activities boost up your resume in a big way..believe me!!!Refraining from being part of all these things may give you a comfortable nap in your bed till noon,but it is robbing you of a lot of other things.It robs you of an opportunity to work in a team;It robs you of an opportunity to express your ideas;It robs you of an opportunity to meet new people;It robs you of an opportunity to exercise your right!!!These experiences help a lot when you set foot on a professional job environment.I see my seniors at the company repenting about having wasted their college days ,buried in their books and not participating in anything.Remember that these are guys earning 5 digit salaries in a top MNC,leading settled married lives.They want to be young again.What I want to tell you is that..don’t ever put yourself in their predicament!!!

Now,let’s speak about a sensitive part of your college life.I am speaking about relations.These days,people are so busy that they don’t even have time for ten minutes of friendly chat.Let me list some names here first.Anupama Sundar,Asha.P.George,Shreejit Nair,Ajay Prasad,Anu Ann,Manoj R.,Deepa Padmanabhan,Betty and the list continues.Now,these may appear as just names for you.But,when I look at them,I see them as integral parts of my life.Each one of them have stood by me,one time or the other,when I needed them.Make some really good friends while you are in college.You are not going to make too many close friends in a corporate setup anyway.Be very open in your friendship and don’t let ego come in the way of a good relation.I have seen so many good friendships broken because of that one factor.You have to be true to yourself first and then true to the other person,in every relation.Moreover,I see a lot of love affairs happening during college life.Loving a girl or boy is easy,but maintaining the commitment and assuming responsibility is difficult.So,don’t just have an affair because you see it as a privilege to boast before your friends that you have a boyfriend or girlfriend.Put a lot of thought before committing yourself.Love is not a game.You can’t call a time-out or retire in the middle of it!!!I had suffered by not being able to convince myself that I loved a girl in our college.So,from personal experience,I want to tell you to be truthful to yourself!!!

It is indeed sad to note that most people don’t bother to keep in touch once they leave college.They write colourful promises in autographs about how they will be there for each other and even promise in person at times.Unfortunately,as it is said,promises are meant to be broken it seems.Other than some close friends,no one really bothers to keep in touch.During the days immediately after leaving college,an e-group is created and everyone makes solid promises about mailing regularly.I tell you that in two years time,you will get a notice from yahoo saying that they are closing the group due to inactivity.I want to advise you not to be like that.Come up with some real good plans to keep in touch.Make sure that you bring out an address book with everyone’s photos.Inform each and everyone a change in address,when it happens.Try to organize occasional meetings.Hey…you never forget a doctor who attended to your wound for 10 minutes and reduced your pain.Then,how can you forget your classmate who was there beside you for 4 long years,sharing your happiness and sadness???.Just think about it!!!

The last and the most important thing of all is remembering your alma-mater.The institution which made you what you are.It gave you an identity of your own.I have seen lots of guys stating that they are CETians with a lot of pride…even with a bit of arrogance.So,CET definitely has a value.You owe a lot to the institution and the faculty.We may have had bitter experiences with teachers,but still they are what they are and they reached that position because they deserved to.Even when you try to blame a teacher’s shortcomings,have you ever thought about stopping into his or her shoes???I can assure you that it is one of the most challenging tasks in the world,when it comes to handling a class.I have experienced that first-hand.So,do give due respect to your teachers,even while maintaining your individuality.Tomorrow,when you get a job and venture out into the treacherous and thankless world of responsibilities,I would like you to find some time and think seriously about doing something for our second mother,our college.My batch is already thinking of instituting something like a scholarship for a student.Do start thinking about something now itself,so that when you move out of college,you will be sure of what to do.Remember ,the college and faculty were there for you when you were a student…so,it is your moral responsibility to be there for them as an alumna.

Hey…I have to get ready to go to the company now.Work calls!!! Hope you will give serious thought to whatever I have told you as a senior,as a friend,as a brother…more importantly,as a past CETian.By the way,I did succeed in getting myself known by my nickname.CETians don’t know me as ARUN.K……they better know me as "KARU"!!!!

Love & Peace,
AK

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice way to put the memoirs of CET.
I too was lucky to be part of CET:)
I think you were one year senior to me..
Also mention about Swamy.. He was amazing guy. One of the best arts club sec. we had seen in my 4 years at college
He could just make you do things and yet you never feel that he made you do that :) A great chap..

11:37 AM  
Blogger Mparam said...

Any idea what happened to Asha P George after graduation? She was one of my good friends in Holy angels' lost touch after SSLC.

6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home